Keeping a time log is a simple and effective way to monitor your employees' working hours. It will help you analyze the work of your employees, their efficiency and productivity during the working day.
Keeping a time log is very important in any field. So let's see how to properly monitor working time using such a log.
What is a time log?
It's easy to explain the definition of a time log. In very short and clear language, a time log is a list of chronological events recorded in a table with columns, usually in a timesheet, Excel spreadsheet, or on paper.
Time logs can contain various categories, subcategories, important tasks and daily tasks, hours of work, phone calls, and any other activities for which you decide to monitor time.
Time logs are very useful if you aim to record the time of hourly employees, monitor and manage employee attendance, better allocate time and money, and improve project management processes in teams.
However, such software is used not only by companies, but also by individual freelance workers who monitor their working hours to improve time management and have an accurate idea of how much time they devote to each activity and what kind of payment they will receive as a result.
How to keep a time log?
Keeping a timesheet manually can be somewhat difficult and impractical. After all, you can make a lot of mistakes this way. For example, you can enter the wrong time spent on a particular task, or not accurately invoice a client or pay an employee.
However, with an automatic time log, there will be no such problems. Using an automatic time log, you don't even have to think about recording your time – such a system will do it for you.
A good example of an automatic time tracking system is Yaware.TimeTracker, which helps you to know:
- when your employees' working day starts and ends
- what time of day is the most productive for employees;
- what resources employees use to perform a particular task;
- how much time employees spend on tasks;
- when they have difficulties in completing a task and need help;
- what distracts employees and prevents them from moving forward.
In general, there are three ways to keep a time log:
- A traditional diary written in a spreadsheet (Excel, Word spreadsheet, etc.).
- Paper timesheets, which are usually used by creative professionals to record time, write down to-do lists, and other important tasks. Such people often use fashionable diaries, stickers, markers, stickers, and other creative elements to add a little color to their planning.
- Time tracking software with automatic timesheets and advanced features that allow you to track work progress in real time.
You can also combine different methods depending on your needs, type of work, tools and methodologies you use in your work.
But at the end of the day, it's up to you to decide which method of time tracking to use.
What are the benefits of using a time log?
- Better time management: with the help of a time tracking system, you can understand how you or your employees work, how much time they spend on various tasks, projects, and other activities.
- Accurate accounting of billable hours: with a time log, it's easy to keep track of billable and non-billable hours, as well as different rates for any project.
- Profitability: by monitoring billable time, productivity, and overall efficiency, you can ensure that projects are profitable and fit for purpose.
- Increase productivity: time logging helps you identify and eliminate employees who are wasting time at work, distractions, and as a result, increase productivity.
- Better work-life balance: when you track your working hours with a time log, monitor productivity, and manage time better, you can maintain a healthy work-life balance.
Most importantly, keeping a time log is designed to help you better manage your time and plan your work so that you can get the most out of your day.